Orion StarBlast 4.5 Equatorial Reflector Telescope
- A wide-field reflector telescope with enough aperture to get great views of the Moon, planets, and many bright deep-sky objects
- A fantastic general-purpose astronomical telescope - great for the beginner to test the waters with mirror optics large enough to keep you and your family busy viewing for years to come
- Works amazingly well with the included Expanse telescope eyepieces which yield a very wide 66° apparent field of view - your first look at the Andromeda galaxy will knock your socks off!
- Fast f/4 optics and a short focal length provide a very wide field of view, making it easy to locate celestial objects without having to hunt around
- The EQ-1 equatorial telescope mount makes tracking night-sky objects extremely easy using the included slow-motion controls. Also includes an EZ Finder II reflex sight for easy aiming, 15mm and 6mm 1.25" Expanse eyepieces, collimation cap, Starry Night software, and more!
Our compact, performance-packed Orion StarBlast 4.5 EQ Reflector telescope is a favorite of both beginners and expert astronomers alike. It combines the much-heralded parabolic optics of our Orion StarBlast 4.5" wide-field (f/4.0) reflector telescope with our sturdy EQ-1 equatorial tracking mount and adjustable-height tripod.
The 4.5" aperture reflector telescope's short focal length serves up a generous chunk of sky in the eyepiece, making it easy for beginners to find celestial objects to study. The combination of short 450mm focal length and sizable 4.5" aperture means the StarBlast 4.5 will provide brighter views at any magnification compared to longer focal length telescopes which makes it easier for everyone, and especially beginners, to locate interesting sights in the night sky.
This tripod-mounted version of the StarBlast 4.5 reflector offers an even more pronounced wide-field viewing experience compared to its tabletop counterpart, as we've upgraded the telescope eyepieces to include two from the Orion Expanse series - a 15mm and 6mm - which have a large 66° apparent field of view. Expanse oculars are higher-quality than what is usually included with a beginner telescope. Their large and comfortable eye lenses, wide 66° apparent field of view, and aluminum construction set them apart from other eyepieces. Observations of everything from the Moon to Messier objects appear exceptionally sharp and rich in contrast through this petite reflector telescope.
Start each stargazing session with the 15mm Expanse eyepiece for medium-power views.When inserted in the StarBlast 4.5 EQ reflector telescope, the included 15mm Orion Expanse eyepiece provides a 30x view with a wide, 66° apparent field of view. The 15mm Expanse ocular is a great eyepiece to use when you first begin your telescopic observations each night, since it provides a large window of night sky for you to view. You'll get wonderful views of deep space objects like star clusters and cloudy nebulas.
Increase magnification for more powerful views with the 6mm Expanse eyepiece.After you've scanned the skies with the 15mm Expanse in the StarBlast 4.5 EQ, take a much closer look at interesting objects by swapping out the 15mm eyepiece with 6mm Expanse to boost magnification all the way up to 75x. The more powerful view provided by the 6mm focal length eyepiece makes it easier to discern details such as craters and mountains on the Moon, as well as details of bright planets like the moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn.
The included Orion EZ Finder II red-dot sight makes aiming the telescope nice and easy.The Orion EZ Finder II reflex sight makes it easy to aim the StarBlast 4.5 Equatorial Reflector Telescope anywhere in the night sky. Following a simple alignment procedure, the EZ Finder II projects a small red-dot onto a viewing window so all you have to do is move the telescope until the red-dot is aimed at the area of sky you wish to view through the telescope. If desired, you can attach any other Orion finder scope to the StarBlast 4.5 EQ - without using tools - thanks to the dovetail base on the telescope.
Learn about the night sky with the included Starry Night Special Edition software.Explore starry skies anytime - even when it's cloudy! The Orion StarBlast 4.5 EQ telescope includes a FREE Special Edition of Starry Night astronomy software. With realistic sky simulations and a many useful features including telescope control, the user-friendly Starry Night Special Edition software will help you plan your observations and understand what you see. Requires PC running Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8. Requires Macintosh running OS X 10.4 or higher.
With the included Orion EQ-1 equatorial telescope mount, you will be able to keep your target object centered in the telescope eyepiece with only an occasional tweak of one slow-motion cable. The EQ-1, like all equatorial telescope mounts, orients the attached StarBlast 4.5" reflector telescope on two axes of motion (right ascension and declination), allowing you to easily track celestial objects as they appear to move across the night sky. Thanks to this design, it's easy for anyone in the family to manually track a celestial object using slow-motion control cables. You can even add an optional electronic motor drive (sold separately) to the EQ-1 equatorial mount so it can track objects automatically once you've centered the object in the telescope eyepiece. The adjustable-height aluminum tripod allows you to set the StarBlast 4.5 Equatorial Reflector up for comfortable views, while remaining lightweight so the entire assembled telescope is easy to transport to and from your favorite stargazing location.
If you're looking for an exceptional beginner telescope on a stable mount with slow-motion tracking control, or if you're seeking a second telescope that's more portable than your big "light bucket", then get an Orion StarBlast 4.5 Equatorial Reflector Telescope. Trust us, you'll have a blast!
Key advantages of the StarBlast 4.5 Astro Reflector:
- Fast f/4.0 optics and short 450mm focal length makes it easier to locate objects in the night sky compared to longer focal length beginner telescopes.
- The combination of short 450mm focal length and sizable 4.5" aperture means the StarBlast 4.5 will provide brighter views at any magnification compared to longer focal length telescopes.
- The included Expanse 15mm and 6mm eyepieces are much higher-quality than eyepieces usually included with beginner telescopes. Their large and comfortable eye lenses, wide 66° apparent field of view, and aluminum construction set them apart from other eyepieces.
- The included EZ Finder II reflex sight can be interchanged with any Orion finder scope - without tools!
- The included collimation cap can help you align the telescope optics for peak performance.
- Best for viewing
Brighter deep sky
- Best for imaging
Lunar & planetary
- User level
- Optical design
- Optical diameter
- Focal length
- Focal ratio
- Optics type
- Glass material
Expanse 15.0mm,6.0mm (1.25")
- Magnification with included eyepieces
- Resolving power
- Lowest useful magnification
- Highest useful magnification
- Highest theoretical magnification
- Limiting stellar magnitude
- Optical quality
- Finder scope
EZ Finder II
- Secondary mirror obstruction
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area
- Mirror coatings/over-coatings
Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type
- Astro-imaging capability
Lunar & planetary
- Dovetail bar system
- Motor drive compatibility
Clock drive sold separately
- Computerized compatibility
- Bearing material
- Latitude range
- Setting circles
- Polar-axis scope
One 4.8 lb.
- Tube material
- Tripod material
- Counterweight bar length
- Diameter of counterweight shaft
- Height range of mount
32.50 in. - 54.75 in.
- Length of optical tube
- Weight, optical tube
- Weight, mount/tripod
- Weight, fully assembled
- Additional included accessories
Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase. This warranty is for the benefit of the original retail purchaser only.