StarSeek Wi-Fi Telescope Control Module, Serial/USB
- Allows you to control your GoTo telescope wirelessly from an iPhone, iPod touch with Wi-Fi, or iPad running the Orion StarSeek or StarSeek Pro astronomy app!
- Module creates a small local wireless network that converts Wi-Fi signals from the mobile device into serial commands that drive your GoTo telescope
- Enables automatic pointing of a telescope to any of 31,000+ celestial objects in the Orion StarSeek app's database
- Works with Orion motor-driven GoTo telescopes and equatorial mounts as well as many other brands equipped with either a RS-232 port or a USB port
- Runs on four on-board AA batteries (not included).
The StarSeek Wi-Fi module works by creating its own local wireless network, leveraging the Wi-Fi capability built into the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. When coupled to the serial or USB port on your telescope's GoTo mount, StarSeek Wi-Fi converts the Wi-Fi signal from the mobile device into serial commands used by the mount to drive the telescope automatically to any of more than 31,000 celestial objects in the StarSeek app's database. You polar-align and initialize your telescope for GoTo operation using the standard procedures for your telescope. StarSeek works with all Orion motor-driven GoTo telescopes, including the Atlas EQ-G, Sirius EQ-G, StarSeeker GoTo and both SkyQuest XTg and XXg GoTo Dobsonian lines, as well as with many other GoTo telescope brands having RS-232 or USB ports. It also now works with Orion IntelliScope "push to" scopes (requires #5222 IntelliScope to PC serial cable, sold separately).
Nearly all GoTo-enabled telescopes use serial commands to drive their electronics. StarSeek Wi-Fi serves as a Wi-Fi-to-serial adapter, plugging into the telescope mount's serial (RS-232) port, which on some scopes is located on the mount itself and on others is found on the (cabled) GoTo hand controller. A short DB-9 serial cable compatible with Orion GoTo mounts is included with the StarSeek Wi-Fi. (The included cable will also connect to the serial cable supplied with many other brands of GoTo telescopes.) The local Wi-Fi network it sets up has a communication range of well over 100 feet, depending on conditions!
Unlike Bluetooth devices, StarSeek Wi-Fi requires no pairing, and no special drivers. It uses standard TCP/IP networking protocols. Once powered on, StarSeek Wi-Fi creates its own 802.11 wireless network. By default, this is an open wireless network called "StarSeek Wi-Fi," but you can rename and secure it later on. Join this network from your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and you're good to go!
The StarSeek Wi-Fi module is compact, barely larger than an iPhone. It can be easily attached to your telescope's mount or tripod with the included hook-and-loop adhesive strips. StarSeek Wi-Fi runs on four on-board AA batteries (not included), and has a typical battery life of 8 to 12 hours under continuous use. It can also be powered from a 12-volt DC field battery or an AC wall outlet. An AC (120V, 60Hz) power adapter and DC cable with cigarette-lighter plug are available from Orion.
Cables are included for connecting the Wi-Fi module to any Orion GoTo telescope or mount. For Orion IntelliScope models, you'll need a #5222 IntelliScope to PC serial cable, sold separately.
Compatibility of the Orion StarSeek Wi-Fi Telescope Control Module, Serial/USB
The StarSeek Wi-Fi Telescope Control Module and StarSeek iPhone apps are compatible with the Apple iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, and original iPhone; iPad (all) and iPod touch. All three StarSeek apps enable wireless control of the following Orion telescopes/mounts:
- Atlas EQ-G and Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G
- Sirius EQ-G
- SkyView Pro GoTo
- StarSeeker GoTo
- SkyQuest XTg and XXg GoTo Dobsonians
- SkyQuest XTi and XXi IntelliScope Dobsonians (requires #5222 serial cable, sold separately)
- StarBlast 6i IntelliScope (requires #5222 serial cable, sold separately)
- Astro-Physics GTO
- Celestron NexStar 5/8, 5i/8i, GPS, SLT, SE
- Celestron CGE, CGE Pro, CGEM, CPC, Advanced VX
- Celestron Ultima 2000
- iOptron SmartStar w/ GOTONova controller
- iOptron MiniTower w/ GOTONova controller
- Losmandy Gemini
- Meade LX-200 Classic and GPS
- Meade LX-90, ETX, ETX-LS, LXD, LX-400 ACF with AutoStar #497 controllers
- Meade Magellan I and II
- SkyWatcher mounts with SynScan controllers
- Takahashi Temma 2
- Tangent Instruments BBox
- Vixen SkySensor 2000
- StellarCAT, ServoCAT, Argo Navis, Sky Commander, Losmandy DSC
Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, iPad, iPod touch, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase. This warranty is for the benefit of the original retail purchaser only.